Monday 25 June 2012

Entry 4.


A lot has gone on since my last entry, I have spoken to the persons that developed the schematics, I have started and finished an ibook course book and I have started the research process for designing some icons for the Lindsay Composer.


Last week, I met with an enthusiastic pathophysiology student named Yan, he was the representative for the students who developed the original schematics. He expressed how excited he was with what I did with the schemes and one of his first questions was "How did I come up with these redesigns?" As an information design student, that question stumped me. I wanted to say it was easy to do but then I realized it is not easy to do, it was something I was trained to do. Even though he and his colleagues are experts in this subject matter, they could not for some reason, layout the scheme in a way that was easy to understand.  I began to feel unique because I made sense of their puzzle presented before me. In the end, he asked my supervisor if I had time if I can work on a few more for him and we both said, Yes!


The next task I had to do was quite daunting, it was to redesign an existing PowerPoint medical case pdf. document using a program I have never used before. To make matters worst, I am a PC user and this program is only available on the Mac products, in other words -  I have to learnt two things at once. Learning this program called iBook Author was  a very unpleasant experience. Though iBooks is really a genius way for making online books, it operations like Adobe InDesign but it lacks a lot of features and has a lot of limitations. For some reason, I felt pressured to come up with something innovative and fantastic but because of my lack of knowledge with the program and the computer I was only able to develop something mediocre. This made me feel like crap, I felt defeated by this program because I know how awesome I am with the Adobe products - I cannot believe how much hate I had for it. Though at the end of it, it got a bit easier and I had something that was functional and useable. In retrospect, it was an awesome experience because I learnt something knew, I suck with it and got through it. 


This week I will be tackling 3D icon designs for their Lindsay Composer. Last Friday I was briefed on which icons I should develop, it is so new and scary too me. I predict for the rest of the week I will be researching and sketching.


The examples below is my version of the iBooks Case Book, everything in these 5 pages are interactive.


Original PowerPoint pdf






















Redesign iBooks Case Book







Cheers, L.

No comments:

Post a Comment