Thursday 14 June 2012

Entry 3.


Since my last entry, I haven’t touched nor made any changes to the iPad and iPhone app design because of the upcoming focus group meeting on Tuesday 12th June.

On the day of the meeting, we (the programmer, writer and information designer) had to present our work on the iPad and iPhone app for The Calgary Black Book. Before the presentation, the focus group got to preview the application designs. Their smiles solidified their satisfaction with it and elevated my confidence in producing something tangible and functional. During my presentation, I explained every step and why it was done, I felt a sense of pride while I explained the features of the designs. At the end of the presentation we were all congratulated on a job well done. This was truly the highlight of my week; all my training in understanding, researching, organizing, etc. in information design has given me the confidence outside of school projects to perform my best. Yay!

What I have been working on for the past week is reorganizing existing medical data schematics so that it is easier for the medical students to understand. I know I made it sounds easy but it was a frustrating task trying to understand the information presented but I got through it with sheer volition. While going through the schematics, I realized how afraid they are of colour but with my designs, I can see how much clearer the information is displayed. The two example charts presented below are all different and I have dealt with how they are to be handled. Especially if someone else were to replicate it, they can do this with ease.

The next step with these schematics is to have a sit down review with the people who came up with the schematics and the head dean. Hopefully if they are not open to colour, various shades/gradients of gray will work, fingers crossed.

Example 1.
Original


Sketched Iteration



Redesign


Example 2.

Original


Making sense of the information



Redesign


Overall excellent experience so far, :)

Cheers, L

No comments:

Post a Comment