Monday 13 August 2012

Entry 6.

Right at this point the internship is truly giving me a taste of the real working world. Innovative ideas that come to my mind quickly are now taking its' time to materialize. With that said, I am referring to icon design. I don't think anyone knows how difficult it is to come up with an icon that works and not only works but is in agreement by the entire team. During the icon design, I had to shift my focus to the schematics project that had me reformatting more than 50 something slides for The Calgary Guide project a medical study guide, so that it is easy for medical students to follow and understand.

We were allowed to experience a viewing of cadaver, Al one of our co-workers had to see a cadaver for his iBooks project and we were given the option or opportunity to join him, of course we said, 'Yes!' We were all skeptical about how we would feel, we even had a bet going on, 'Whoever lasted the longest in the lab would get a free lunch'. As our supervisor was taking out the body, she informed us that the cadavers' face is covered so that medical students could have a better time dealing with a dead body in front of them. Funny as the body laid in front of us, I forgot that is was a corpse. She also said, they only take healthy bodies but sometimes they come across a body with an unknown brain tumor or enlarged organ. The cadavers in the lab all have a different purpose, so they are cut for certain parts or organs to be shown during the lab lessons among students. We were allowed to poke around, squeeze and lift organs, the human lung amazed me, its a fragile organ it felt like a crumpled old clear plastic bag. And the smell of formaldehyde is forever stained in my nose. 

We all stuck through it in the lab and no one was bought lunch.

This is an experience I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment